Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Earthworm Dissection Questions

On Friday my bio class got to dissect annelids which is a round worm like animal that has a segmented body, such as an earthworm. When I was in elementary I had always wondered why earthworms came out on rainy days, always stopped to pick them up, feel their slimy bodies and see their reactions or how they moved around a lot in the hot sun because they were literally being fried. At first knowing that we had to cut from its mouth to its anus, got me feeling iffy about it because I'm not really into cutting flesh, I find it weird and disturbing. Cutting their little bodies up was a no-no for me, I wanted my partner Liz to do all the work but she was squirming around when I pushed the scalpel in or poked it, saying how I should be a doctor which would never happen. Anyways when we opened up the earthworm, it was hard to tell where things were because everything was covered up in the black watery ooze which was the soil, although some thought it was poop. We got to learn that they are hermaphrodites which I wouldn't have guessed, thinking the females look different than males like any other animal. That they have a mouth AND an anus, unlike Cnidarians they have one way of getting things in and out! There wasn't much to see, Liz and I were far from done with dissecting the worm plus my camera phone didn't take very good pictures so we ended up giving it to the group beside us to observe it because they had cut too deep. It was a good experience and a good time even though I wouldn't do it again, I would just observe from afar knowing we have more dissecting projects to come. Here are some pictures that I took of that I was not able to label and some that I had borrowed from the internet.

Trace the digestive tract which food passes:
The digestive tract goes straight through the middle.
How can you find out whether an earthworm eats soil or not?:
All the black marks are from the scalpel touching the worms digestive tract from where the soil travels.
Which part of the earthworm serves as a brain? How are these parts connected to the rest of the  body?:
The brain is above the pharynx and is connected to the first ventral ganglion, which the brain is made up of many nerves all through cephalization. 
What is the name of the pumping organs of the earthworm?:
The pumping organ is called the Aortic Arches.
Which parts of the worm body that you saw included the excretory system?:
My picture isn't very clear but this was the closest I could get from not having a blurry picture.
Among the earthworms structural adaptations are its setae. How do you think the earthworms setae make it well adapted to its habitat?:
The setae provides traction for movement which helps anchor and controls the worm when moving around in the soil.

How is the earthworms digestive system relatively adapted for extracting relatively small amounts from large amounts of ingested soil?:
Once the soil is ingested it goes through the digestive tract, to the esophagus where it reaches the crop (stores the soil) and to the gizzard (grinds it up into smaller pieces.) 
Your dissection of the worm did not go beyond segment 32. What will you observe if you dissect the remainder of the worm to its posterior end?:
If we had continued the dissection we would have just seen more of the digestive tract, ventral nerve cord, the anus and a lot of soil. 
During mating, 2 earthworms exchange sperm. Fertilization is external and cocoons are produced from which the young eventually emerge.  
When reproduction occurs, the earthworms attach to each other where they give off sperm. Then are stored in special sacs until they are ready to be fertilized. When both the eggs and sperm are ready the clitellum secretes a sticky ring where they fertilize. 

1 comment:

  1. Purpose-2/4
    Connection to class-3/4
    Personal Reflection-4/4
    Conventions-4/4
    Requirements-9/9
    22/25

    ReplyDelete