Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Fungus

The one day I wasn't able to attend my bio class due to feeling ill, everyone went on a nature walk to see the different types of fungi and so instead of showing my own pictures I was supposed to take, I'm going to have to show borrowed ones. To get an idea of what my classmates found I did a quick check on what they saw, realizing the things I picked at when I was younger wasn't just another green plant as to what I thought but was lichens and fungi. Being able to see what we have in our near by forest is actually pretty amazing, for some odd reason I didn't think we would have them living anywhere because the thought of it never really crossed my mind. I had always thought all mushrooms that grew in my backyard were poisonous and if I touched or poked one with a stick I would die within a few days also assuming all green things were apart of grass.. something crazy like that. Anyways with what I heard, it was quite the trip to get around decaying logs and the  damp wet leaves to find plenty of basidiomycota/club fungi, lichen, ascomycota/sac fungi, and zygomycota/common molds. Its different than when we went to pick different flowers with Mrs. Morin, since all the flowers were of course in the Fleetwood Garden it wasn't so much of an exciting trip as this one was but was easier and quicker to get things done and over with. I wish I wasn't sick on Friday 'cause it would have been a bit easier to do this assignment, plus it seemed like fun going on a nature walk although I could have gone on my own but for me it's kind of lame and I would look awkward if I went into the forest squatting around trying to find fungi. Any who here are some pictures I found online to what some of my classmates found.


Basidiomycota/Club Fungi






Shelf Fungi
Basidiomycota/Club Fungi
Jelly Fungi
Ascomycota/Sac Fungi
Lichen
Fungi
Thought I'd just upload this labelled diagram done by google (:

3 comments:

  1. We missed you on the fungus walk Marissa! Don't forget to tell me from whom you got each photo. You might want to tell me a little more about what we learned last week about fungi to get full marks as well. I am glad you reflected on the assignment so well, I loved your relation of the fungi to your childhood memories. Good job!
    PS- whenever I go for hikes or walks in the woods I always end up "squatting around trying to find fungi", so know that you'd be in good company.
    Ms I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prep of blog entry- 4
    Quality of Content- 2
    Personal Reflection- 4
    Conventions-4
    Requirements- 4

    26/28

    ReplyDelete